Thursday 18 October 2012

I am a dedicated Sheerio

I bravely ventured this recent Tuesday night.
I went to a gig, on my own, for the first time. No, I'm not a lonely cat lady (or at least, not yet) but my friends are either enrolled at university far away or they don't like Ed Sheeran because they're weirdos. I, however, adore Ed Sheeran. When I can't sleep I often fall asleep to his music, and I have always maintained that my first dance at my future wedding will be to an Ed Sheeran song ('Kiss Me' or 'This'). So, on Tuesday, I turned up to the Hammersmith Apollo, bought a ticket outside which I had haggled down to £35, and experienced one of the best nights of my life.
Wow. Ed Sheeran knows how to write music, how to sing and how to work a crowd. If you ever have the opportunity to see him live, do it do it do it! I guarantee you will leave the gig with a tonne of respect for Ed as an artist, even if you are not a fan.
During one acoustic song, he asked the audience to be completely quiet and the effect was incredible. During another, he sang without the microphone so that it was truly acoustic and the result was stunning. Furthermore, apart from two collaborations with the warm up acts, he played on stage completely by himself; there was no drummer, no guitarist: just Ed, using his talent to strum and drum his guitar which he often looped to create backing music on the spot. He would effortlessly go from one beautifully gentle love ballad to a fast tempo gets-everybody-dancing hit. Two nights in a row, apparently, he broke his guitar because he was beating the rhythm so hard.

Without a doubt every single person in that room was singing or mouthing along and enjoying the performance.
The lowest point for me was when Ed told us all to 'turn to the person next to you, put our arm round them, and tell them you love them'. Thanks Ed, make me feel awkward haha! On the brighter side, I laughed it off (to myself, obviously) and he followed the lovey-dovey couples vibe (the room was packed with couples) with one of my favourite songs, 'This'. Hence I just swayed with the crowd and, again with myself, had an emotional moment. 
There is no doubt that Ed Sheeran's was one of the best concerts I have ever been to and yep, definitely having my first dance to 'This'. His music is so beautiful, his lyrics are clever and wonderful and I love him so so much. Who knows, maybe he'll be the one at the altar with me! (Although, don't tell him 'cos that's a little bit obsessive and weird).

I thought I would tell you about Tuesday evening because it was such an incredible night for me and I wanted to share my passion. After all, that's why I'm here! But, to make this a little more fashion related here is what I wore:
 I recently bought the top from River Island, in a large size. The Scarf is fluff heaven and from River Island too. Coat from Paul Smith (mens, cheeky). Boots from a car boot sale. 
Worn with a pair of Jeans. Little bit indie, but I thought it was appropriate for a concert :)


That's it from me today, but here's a little Sheeran to keep you going. (listen to  'Kiss Me' with good headphones or imagine it with a lovely bass)



No comments: